1. Your Information and Your Right To Privacy
Unless you specifically tell us, this site will never know who you are (applies to Yoga Australia members only). You can elect to tell us more about yourself so that Yoga Australia can provide enhanced services, such as your entry on the ‘Find a Registered Teacher’ database, or access to publications and other membership services. This is your choice.
Yoga Australia will under no circumstances sell, trade or rent any personal information that you supply to us to any third party. In short, information you supply to Yoga Australia stays with Yoga Australia. You have the right to review and alter any personal membership information that Yoga Australia stores about you. After all, it is your information, so you should be the person that controls it.
If you choose and inform us accordingly, Yoga Australia will not send you unsolicited email, that is, make you part of a Yoga Australia mailing list. Yoga Australia uses this method to communicate quickly with members. You have the right to refuse inclusion on a mailing list. Members can make a request to remove their email address from a mailing list by contacting the Yoga Australia office.
As part of the normal operation of this site, your Internet Browser will be sent a “cookie” (a temporary Internet file). This cookie enhances our site’s functionality with features such as membership logon and electronic ordering. By itself, this cookie can only identify your computer to our server; it is not used to identify you personally.
Your personal password to access the ‘Yoga Australia Members Only’ section of the Yoga Australia website protects your membership privacy. We suggest that you do not disclose, share or reveal this password to any other individual.
2. What information is collected by this site, and how is it used?
The Yoga Australia website collects browse statistics from this site to track traffic patterns. This may include the URL (web address) you came from, the URL you are going to, the browser you are using, and your IP address. We use this information to do internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviour to better understand and better serve our users. This information is compiled and analysed on an aggregated basis.
If you decide to become a member of Yoga Australia, and we hope that you do, Yoga Australia will ask you for personal details such as your address, contact phone numbers and your email address. You may also opt to provide Yoga Australia with more information such as the special interest areas you may be interested in, where you are employed and your date of birth. Relevant information is only disclosed to the public on the internet via Yoga Australia’s ‘Find a Registered Teacher’ online searchable database. Through a personal log in you can update or change these details at any time. You are responsible for keeping this information relevant. Whether you decide to use this service is your choice.
We use your email address, your mailing address, and phone number to contact you regarding administrative notices, publications, and communications relevant to your use of the site and your Yoga Australia membership. If you do not wish to receive these communications, you have the ability to opt out by contacting the Yoga Australia office.
From time to time, we may decide to collect different kinds of information. When this occurs, we will update this privacy page.
3. Our Commitment to you
We use standard mechanisms to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information, such as firewalls and Secure Socket Layers. However, it is important to recognise that “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet.
4. Credit Card Information
Yoga Australia does not permanently store credit card information anywhere on this site.
5. Yoga Australia Members
Yoga Australia has a strong commitment to protecting your privacy, and ensuring the confidentiality and security of personal information provided to Yoga Australia by its members.
Members have the right to access the personal information held about themselves by the Yoga Australia, and to correct information which is inaccurate.
Information you have provided to the Yoga Australia is used to:
- Process applications and renewals and update your membership details and profile information
- Provide information to consumers and others on the availability of yoga services
- Conduct market research in order to identify and analyse the ongoing needs of Yoga Australia members
- Ensure compliance with Yoga Australia’s Code of Ethics and Cod of Professional Conduct
- Provide members with Yoga Australia’s publications and information
- Provide members with access to and information about current and future member benefits.
Information provided by members may be disclosed to persons who have a contractual arrangement with Yoga Australia, including business partners. However, Yoga Australia undertakes not to disclose sensitive information without the member’s consent.
From time to time, Yoga Australia arranges mailings using the contact information you have provided, from its business partners. This includes all corporate partners and endorsed product manufacturers/suppliers. These mailings aim to provide members with information and benefits available to them.
If you do not wish to receive information from Yoga Australia’s business partners, you should advise the Yoga Australia office.
6. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the European Union (EU)
- Yoga Australia will comply with the principles of data protection set out in the GDPR for the purpose of fairness, transparency and lawful data collection and use.
- We process your personal information as a Processor and/or to the extent that we are a Controller as defined in the GDPR.
- We must establish a lawful basis for processing your personal information. The legal basis for which we collect your personal information depends on the data that we collect and how we use it.
- We will only collect your personal information with your express consent for a specific purpose and any data collected will be to the extent necessary and not excessive for its purpose. We will keep your data safe and secure.
- We will also process your personal information if it is necessary for our legitimate interests, or to fulfil a contractual or legal obligation.
- We process your personal information if it is necessary to protect your life or in a medical situation, it is necessary to carry out a public function, a task of public interest or if the function has a clear basis in law.
- We do not collect or process any personal information from you that is considered “Sensitive Personal Information” under the GDPR, such as personal information relating to your sexual orientation or ethnic origin unless we have obtained your explicit consent, or if it is being collected subject to and in accordance with the GDPR.
- You must not provide us with your personal information if you are under the age of 16 without the consent of your parent or someone who has parental authority for you. We do not knowingly collect or process the personal information of children.
7. Your rights under the GDPR
- If you are an individual residing in the EU, you have certain rights as to how your personal information is obtained and used. Yoga Australia complies with your rights under the GDPR as to how your personal information is used and controlled if you are an individual residing in the EU
- Except as otherwise provided in the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- to be informed how your personal information is being used;
- access your personal information (we will provide you with a free copy of it);
- to correct your personal information if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- to delete your personal information (also known as “the right to be forgotten”);
- to restrict processing of your personal information;
- to retain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes;
- to object to your personal information being used; and
- to object against automated decision making and profiling.
- We may ask you to verify your identity before acting on any of your requests.
8. Hosting and International Data Transfers
- Information that we collect may from time to time be stored, processed in or transferred between parties or sites located in countries outside of Australia.
- Transfers to each of these countries will be protected by appropriate safeguards, these include one or more of the following: the use of standard data protection clauses adopted or approved by the European Commission which you can obtain from the European Commission Website; the use of binding corporate rules, a copy of which you can obtain from Yoga Australia’s Data Protection Officer.
- The hosting facilities for our website are situated in Australia. Transfers to each of these Countries will be protected by appropriate safeguards, these include one or more of the following: the use of standard data protection clauses adopted or approved by the European Commission which you can obtain from the European Commission Website; the use of binding corporate rules, a copy of which you can obtain from Yoga Australia’s Data Protection Officer.
- Our Suppliers and Contractors are situated in Australia. Transfers to each of these Countries will be protected by appropriate safeguards, these include one or more of the following: the use of standard data protection clauses adopted or approved by the European Commission which you can obtain from the European Commission Website; the use of binding corporate rules, a copy of which you can obtain from Yoga Australia’s Data Protection Officer.
- You acknowledge that personal data that you submit for publication through our website or services may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use (or misuse) of such personal data by others.
9. Security of your personal information
- Yoga Australia is committed to ensuring that the information you provide to us is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
- Where we employ data processors to process personal information on our behalf, we only do so on the basis that such data processors comply with the requirements under the GDPR and that have adequate technical measures in place to protect personal information against unauthorised use, loss and theft.
10. Access to your personal information
- You may request details of personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), and to the extent applicable the EU GDPR. If you would like a copy of the information which we hold about you or believe that any information we hold on you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please email us at the address provided below.
- We reserve the right to refuse to provide you with information that we hold about you, in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act or any other applicable law.
11. Complaints about privacy
- If you have any complaints about our privacy practices, please feel free to send in details of your complaints via . We take complaints very seriously and will respond shortly after receiving written notice of your complaint.
When you visit our website.
When you come to our website (https://www.yogaaustralia.org.au/), we may collect certain information such as browser type, operating system, website visited immediately before coming to our site, etc. This information is used in an aggregated manner to analyse how people use our site, such that we can improve our service.
Third party sites
Our site may from time to time have links to other websites not owned or controlled by us. These links are meant for your convenience only. Links to third party websites do not constitute sponsorship or endorsement or approval of these websites. Please be aware that Yoga Australia is not responsible for the privacy practises of other such websites. We encourage our users to be aware, when they leave our website, to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personal identifiable information.